Research Scholars Certificate
The Research Scholars Certification Program, offered by the Research and Graduate Studies Division of Research Integrity and Compliance, provides an introduction to key topics in the Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR). The goal of training in RCR is for researchers to understand their responsibilities related to proper research conduct, and the regulations that ensure that research is done in ways that are scientifically sound, ethical, and safe. This understanding is critical for any career in scholarly research, whether in the academy, government, or industry.
The following groups of individuals are required to complete the program:
- All doctoral students entering during or after Fall Semester 2013.
- Students (undergraduate and graduate) and postdoctoral fellows who are supported through National Science Foundation Funding.
- Trainees supported by some categories of grants from NIH, including training grants, development grants, and dissertation grants.
- Beginning in August 2013, trainees supported through NIFA grants administered by the USDA.
The RSCP is the approved program for fulfillment of this requirement. Although the training is mandatory for individuals in these four groups, all students will benefit from this training.
Relationship of RSCP to USU 6900 – Conduct of Responsible Research
USU 6900 is the course used by USU to record completion of the requirements for the RSCP. Students working toward completion of the certificate must register for USU 6900, Conduct of Responsible Research, during the spring semester, however work toward completion of this zero-credit course begins during orientation for the preceding fall semester. Instructions for registration and completion of USU 6900 requirements are available here. All doctoral students should include this course in their Program of Study; the course will appear on the transcript of any student who completes the training. The course consists of three components:
1) Research Scholars Orientation
Students in the Research Scholars Certification Program must attend one orientation session. The main orientation sessions are held on two consecutive days during the week before classes begin on campus, with one of the sessions being offered immediately following the School of Graduate Studies Orientation.
Students should RSVP online.
NOTE: The Orientation session and the forums explained below are held on USU’s main campus. At least one of the three sessions must be attended either at the venue or through a facilitated broadcast provided by RIC. The other two sessions, at the choice of the participant, may be completed by viewing a digital recording of the session and completing a competency quiz on the information presented. However, participants are strongly encouraged to attend live sessions to contribute to dialogue and provide broader perspectives in the discussions.
2) Research Scholars Forums
Students in the program must participate in the two Research Scholars’ Forums offered during the year (dates to be determined):
- Fall Forum - Data Acquisition and Management
- Spring Forum - Publication and Authorship
3) Online Training
Participants must complete on-line training in several topics, provided by the Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI). For information concerning registration for this free online training, visit the Office of Compliance Assistance web page at http://research.usu.edu/compliance/htm/certificate/citi. The following course plan should be followed, if possible:
- Before the Research Scholars Orientation
- The CITI Course in Responsible Conduct of Research
- Introduction to the Responsible Conduct of Research
- PLUS four additional topics as indicated at USU’s CITI introductory module
- Before the Fall Research Scholars’ Forum
- Data Acquisition and Management Module
- Before the Spring Research Scholar’s Forum
- Responsible Authorship and Publication
- Responsible Peer Review Module
- Prior to the end of the Spring semester
- Human Research Participants
- Animal Care and Use
- Completion of RCR Training
Links to online training:
Research Scholars Forums (2013-2014 Academic Year):
We strongly encourage completion of the RSCP near the beginning of a student’s research activities. The Certificate is an indication to the institution and to the science community that its recipient is aware of and dedicated to the Responsible Conduct of Research.
For information concerning this program, please contact Russ Price, Federal Compliance Manager, at email@example.com, or (435)797-8305.