Proposal Preparation Resources
UNIFORM GUIDANCE: Proposal Preparation Crosswalk
USU has assembled this proposal preparation guidance for use when developing budgets and documentation for new proposals and incremental/supplemental funding awarded on or after December 26th, 2014. As necessary, this matrix will be updated and other training materials will be made available to keep investigators informed about changes in USU's internal control systems related to OMB’s new Uniform Guidance (UG) “Uniform Administrative Requirements, Cost Principles and Audit Requirements for Federal Awards.”
For additional information and FAQ's related to the Uniform Guidance Click Here.
THE LINKS IN THE LEFT NAVIGATION PANE OF THIS PAGE CONTAIN INFORMATION THAT CAN BE USED TO PREPARE PROPOSALS.
Institutional Information: Contains the University’s official address, tax identification number, DUNs number, and much more.
Benefit Rates: Contains the University’s official benefit rates and a link to the official USU Controller’s Office memo detailing these rates.
Graduate Student Insurance: Contains information on USU’s policy regarding the application of graduate student insurance rates in proposal budgets.
F&A Rates: Contains information on USU’s official federally negotiated facilities and administration (F&A) rates and cognizant agency contracting officer. This page also has a link to the official memo that can be included in proposals as needed.
Gift, Grant, or Contract?: Use this page to determine the nature of externally funded ventures. The chart on this page will direct you to the correct office to work with when soliciting funds form outside sources.
USU’s INTERNAL DEADLINE FOR PROPOSAL SUBMISSION: All proposals for grants, contracts, and agreements must be submitted to the Division of Sponsored Programs (DSP) for review, approval, and routing for departmental/college signatures prior to submission to the funding sponsor.
- All proposals should be submitted to DSP for review a minimum of three full working business days prior to the sponsors deadline. (USU’s recognized holidays are not considered working business days, therefore additional time should be included for the review, routing and approval process when holidays occur during the proposal submission process.)
- All proposals submitted to DSP should have the following items:
- A completed SP-01
- A budget (Preferably on USU's budget template)
- A budget narrative/justification
- A Statement of Work (Technical and/or scientific project narrative documents)
- A copy of the RFP, RFA, etc. (If in response to a solicitation notice.)
- Other items as necessary per the proposal (e.g., cost share commitment forms, subrecipient commitment forms, consultant confirmatory letters, etc.)
- The three days provided are for review and approval by DSP. An additional 1-2 days should be allowed for DocuSign routing for departmental and college approvals and signatures.
- All proposals including electronic applications, mailed hard copies, and emailed copies are to be submitted by DSP as the Authorized Organizational Representative. The recommendation is that the timing for submission of applications should have the review and approval process completed and the final version of the application ready for submission at least 2 days prior to the funding sponsor’s deadline.
- Applications that have subcontracts, cost share, consultants, etc. require additional forms to be completed. Collecting these forms can require additional time to complete. Please plan accordingly so that the review and submission process can be completed in a timely manner and within the internal deadline time frame for proposal submission.