The Research Council advises the Vice president for Research in all matters pertaining to research and other scholarly or creative activity of the University:
- In the formulation of policy, including research priorities and procedures for attaining them;
- In the encouragement and stimulation of research in the context of instructional and other goals of the University;
- In monitoring, reviewing, and evaluating cross-college research programs in the University; and
- In recommending to the Vice president for Research the allocation of all funds available for research and related purposes to be expended through the office of the Vice President for Research.
Membership of the council
The permanent membership of the Research Council consists of:
- the Vice President for Research;
- the Provost;
- the Dean of the School of Graduate Studies;
- the Director of the Water Research Laboratory;
- the Dean of each college of the University or a staff member designated by the Dean to represent research in the respective college, and
- the Director of the Agricultural Experiment Station. Additional members may be added to the council upon recommendation of the Vice President for Research and approval by the senate.
Chair of the council
The council is chaired by the Vice President for Research.