CITI Certification and Procedures
USU participates in the Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI). In order to conduct human subjects research, you need to be CITI Certified.
Certification must be renewed every three years.
Current CITI Certification needs to be maintained throughout any human subjects research.
CITI Training Instructions
To conduct research with human participants at Utah State University, the Institutional Review Board (IRB) requires that all researchers be certified via the CITI program. The CITI Program provides research ethics education to all members of the research community.
To be certified at Utah State University, a set of modules must be completed via the CITI website with an overall score of 80%. The only module required for USU researchers is Social & Behavioral Research Investigators and Key Personnel, Basic Course.
Once completed, CITI will issue you a “completion certificate" and notify the Utah State University IRB. At that point, your name and certification expiration date (3 years) will be entered in the database on the Utah State University IRB list of Faculty Staff and Student Certifications.
If you are a new user, you will be asked to register:
Here are the steps to follow in creating a CITI log in and to complete the Basic Course in the Human Research Curriculum:
To begin the CITI registration process, open the CITI website and do the following:
1. Click on the ‘Create an Account’ link
2. Under ‘Select an Institution, click the down arrow for ‘Participating institutions’ and select Utah State University. Continue to next step
3. Type in your Personal Information. Continue to next step
4. Create your Username and Password. Continue to next step
5. Complete the Gender, Ethnicity, and Race sections. Continue to next step
6. Complete the CEU page. Continue to next step
7. Complete the Information requested by USU. Continue to next step
8. Choose the first option: Human Research Curriculum (satisfies IRB certification requirements, not RCR) Basic Course . Click ‘Next’
9. Choose ‘Group 1’: Social & Behavioral Research Investigators and Key Personnel. Click ‘Next’
10. Choose Stage 1. Click ‘Next’
11. Click on the Finalize registration link
You will receive a confirmation email from email@example.com which will include the next step in finalizing your registration. Please check your spam folder for this email and if you have any questions or need assistance, contact CITI Support at firstname.lastname@example.org
Returning users may simply log in to the CITI web page and complete their training or refresher courses. If prior login information has been forgotten, click on the forgot login information link to recover login information.
Direct all CITI-related questions to email@example.com (435-797-1821).