Before approval, the IRB must determine that the following requirements are satisfied.
1. The proposed research design is scientifically sound so as to not unnecessarily expose participants to risk.
2. Risks to participants are minimized.
3. Risks to participants are reasonable in relation to anticipated benefits.
4. Participant selection is equitable.
5. Safeguards are included for participants likely to be vulnerable to undue influence or coercion.
6. Informed consent is sought from each participant or the participant’s legally authorized representative
7. Participants’ safety, privacy, and confidentiality are maximized.
An archived version of the Reviewer’s Checklist used by the USU IRB for reviewing applications can be found on the IRB website