School of Graduate Studies

Insurance Plan for Subsidized Graduate Students

Utah State University requires that graduate students have health insurance if they are supported by a 0.5 FTE (20 hrs/week) assistantship or receive a scholarship or fellowship of $10,000 or more for the academic year. The student health insurance policy meets that requirement, and the cost of that policy is subsidized by the department or unit that is paying the assistantship. The subsidy does not cover the entire cost of the insurance. Some other health insurance policies will satisfy the requirement, however a policy must meet certain coverage requirements if it is used to replace the student health insurance policy. For more information, go to the Student Health Services web site.

Graduate student health insurance is now being handled by the Student Health Services rather than the School of Graduate Studies. Information about graduate insurance is available at

If you are a graduate student and have questions regarding subsidized insurance please contact Katelyn Richins at or by phone at 435-797-3505. 

The Student Health Services Office is located in the Health and Wellness Center at 850 East 1200 North, just north of Romney Stadium (map it) if you would like to stop in and ask questions.

If you have something to mail to the Student Health Services Office you may send it to:

Student Health and Wellness Center

9100 Old Main Hill

Logan, UT 84322-9100