School of Graduate Studies


Can I apply online?

Yes, click here to learn how to apply now.

Is the application for graduate admission different from the application for undergraduate admission at Utah State University?

Yes, when you apply online, be sure to select "School of Graduate Studies" in the drop-down box. Click here to learn how to apply online. 

Can the application fee be waived or deferred until I arrive at Utah State University?

No, we will not process or evaluate your application in any way until the $55 application fee is paid. There are no exceptions to this policy.

Can I pay the application fee by credit card?

Yes, we accept VISA, MasterCard, and Discover credit card payments for the application fee. You will be prompted to pay when you complete your online application. You will need to provide the card type, number, expiration month and year and the name on the card.

How can I check the status of my application?

You can check the status of your application here using the Login ID and PIN you created to apply. Then you can open your completed application and view its current status. If there is a date next to the application item needed, we have received it.

When your application is complete, it will be forwarded to the academic department for evaluation. Some departments may require additional credentials. You will need to check with the department for more information. Different departments also have different evaluation processes. We cannot predict how long the evaluation will take. Based on the recommendation of the academic department, an official letter of admission or denial will be mailed to you from the dean of the School of Graduate Studies.

If I am a new student, how do I create a password to accompany my new A-number so I can log in to Access (Banner)?

For complete instructions on how to create a new A-number and password, visit

How can I get an assistantship?

Graduate assistantships and scholarships are awarded on a competitive basis by the individual academic departments. After admission, you should contact the department to which you have been admitted to apply for an assistantship.

If I send my grades, my test scores, and a resume showing my experience, will you tell me if I can be admitted to Utah State University?

We do not have a preadmission process. Your admissibility cannot be evaluated by the academic department until a complete application package is received. We cannot estimate your chances of admission. Your completed application will be forwarded to the academic department for evaluation and you will be notified in writing as soon as a decision is made.

What is the deadline for applications?

While many departments have specific application deadlines, other departments admit students throughout the year. The time it takes to process an application is primarily dependent on the speed with which the School of Graduate Studies receives letters of recommendation, transcripts and test scores. In some cases, this process may take 6-8 weeks. Applicants should plan accordingly.

What is the institutional code for the GRE, GMAT, and TOEFL?

The institutional code we have been assigned by Educational Testing Services (ETS) is 4857 (GRE, TOEFL) and 2237 for tests administered by Pearson (GMAT, MAT). The institutional code and the department code will be provided for you at the testing site when you take the examination. However,  the department code is not required.

How long will I have to complete my degree and how long will my coursework be valid?

A master's degree must be completed within 6 years from the time of admission.

A doctoral degree must be completed within 8 years from the time of admission.

Coursework for both degrees is valid for 8 years. Please refer to the General Catalog for revalidation of coursework that is beyond the 8-year limit. Refer to the Degree Requirements for detailed information.